4 Week Horsemanship School
May 17 – June 13,2021
July 12 – August 8,2021
When you’re ready for the real deal…
A truly unique horsemanship experience – this year we will be working on our rhythm, balance and timing. It is a fantastic opportunity to hone your horsemanship skills in southwest Idaho. Our base will be at Martin’s Shoofly Ranch, which borders the Jack’s Creek Wilderness Area
In the wide open spaces of the high sage desert, we will have limitless learning opportunities to work on footfall, our communication between horse and rider, and the “why” of learning solid horsemanship. There may even be opportunities to work on your newly learned skills while gathering cattle, working rodear, driving, sorting, branding, doctoring and working cattle. Most of the cow work will be trailering out from our Shoofly base to the high-country about 45 minutes away.
We will be camped at Shoofly Ranch, which is about 45 minutes from Y6. Join us with your own LQ trailer or stay in the bunk house (limited availability!).Or, experience living in true Cow Camp accommodations: tents, buckaroo teepees, or sleeping under the stars. We will enjoy the sights, smells, and temperatures of the 3000 to 6,500 foot elevations, during one of the most beautiful seasons in the west. Experience Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall, often all in one day. Camping in the high country is a possibility if the students desire but there will be limited, rustic accommodations.
Ranch cooked meals will be provided. There will be early, belly-filling breakfasts before trotting and/or trailering out for the day’s work. A cowboy meal will be prepared at the end of each work day. Special dietary needs will be limited or none – cowboy up or bring your own ;)~ of course we are sensitive to dietary restrictions, please contact us so that we may be prepared.
This is a progressive school for riders comfortable at all gates (W,T,L). Riders and horses should be confident riding out alone for extended periods while doing the day’s job (i.e. gathering or driving cattle)
There is limited cell phone service, wi-fi, and electricity, so you can concentrate on becoming a better stockman with your horse(s).
Coronavirus Guidelines ~ 6′ feet apart, no problem ~ if we need to travel in vehicles together you will be asked to wear masks. We will be providing outside washing stations, supplies to help with keeping the bathrooms, showers and kitchens/eating areas clean.
Information and Some of the Details:
• $5,000 (meals included)
• 4 Weeks, May 17- June 13, 2021 or July 12 – August 8,2021
• Limited to 8 participants
• 25% non-refundable deposit
• Camp will be 45 mins from Bruneau
• Sundays will likely be a day off
- Private Room and Bathroom with kitchen $1500
- RV Space $200 (water & septic)
- Dry Bunkhouse $600 (access to shower)
- Camp Wagon $500 (access to shower)
- Teepees $300 (access to shower)
- Dry Camping in your personal trailer $300 (access to shower)
- Starlet sky priceless but no charge
- Outhouse or big tree no charge
- Bed rolls and/or bed linens provided
• Sundays will be the off day to head into town from camp. Camp is 1 hour from Mountain Home and 45 minutes from Bruneau/Y6
•Groceries and cell service are limited. The closest restaurant options are 20 minutes away in Grand View
• Bruneau’s Cowboy Pastime Restaurant (11 – 8) lunch/dinner options
• Grocery stores and chain Stores are located in the town of Mountain Home about 40 miles from Shoofly.
• Plan to bring all your own husbandry supplies (Ibuprofen, Icy Hot, Imodium, toiletries, toilets, chocolate, lobsters, wine, more chocolate, more wine, more Blue Bell…(ice cream))
• Fuel & propane available in Bruneau or Grand View
• Laundromats are located in Mountain Home
• Closest airport, and car rentals, are located in Boise. Pickup/drop-offs can be arranged
• Plan for Limited cell service in Camp and patchy service en route to it ~ we are working on cell service and wi-fi! Pretty good chance it will be up and running!
• It is recommended that you bring at least 2 horses for the school. Y6 horses will be available to lease. (see more info below for requirements)
• Personal horses should be conditioned for long days of work
• Shoes are necessary, bring spares for your personal horse, we will be in high-desert country (lava rock, tall sage)
• Your horses will be kept in steel pens
• On days we trailer out to a location, your horse must be able to travel well with other horses or you will have to bring your own trailer
• Water will be made available in pens
• Please plan to bring hay. Or check on availability/pricing with Y6 before traveling because local availability of hay will be dependent on the winter. The feed Store in Mountain Home will also have hay
• Feed stores are located in Mountain Home (40 miles from Shoofly)
• Plan to bring all your own husbandry and first aid supplies
Cow Camp Meals:
• While in Camp, a cowboy breakfast and cowboy lunch/supper will be provided
• If you need special accommodations for meals (something other than meat and cheese) you are responsible for bringing it with you (we are sensitive to dietary restrictions, please contact us to let us know how we can help to be prepared. There is limited refrigeration.
• Y6 horses are available at $400 per horse for the entirety of the school (you will need 2)
• Saddles and equipment available $200 for the entirety of the school
Clothing and Gear:
• Come prepared for weather of all 4 seasons, you may even experience it all in one day
• Bring your saddle, head gear, halters, rain gear, the kitchen sink, etc
• Bring all medical supplies for both you and your horse
Level of Riding:
• Comfortable at all gates – Walk, Trot, Lope
• Ability to ride several different horses
• Ability to ride for several hours each day
• Confident to ride out alone for several hours at a time in unknown locations
- Horse shoeing, $125 by local farrier, guarenteed for 4 weeks
- If you need to purchase hay $10.75 per bale
- transportation to/from airport $100
We know you want a look at where you will be living for a month “off-grid”! Check out the following places:
Please Note: Deposits are non-refundable. If you are unable to attend a clinic you may transfer your deposit to a future clinic. You also have the option to apply your funds towards purchases from www.martinblack.net